If you’re looking to keep your moving costs as low as possible, and some insider tips on cheaper rates then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve got some great tips on how to make your move more affordable!
1. Search for free moving boxes
Many people make the mistake of not asking around for free boxes before going out to buy them! Many business have boxes that they need to dispose of. It takes a little bit of effort but you can save heaps. This will not only save you money, it’s also more environmentally friendly. If you fail to find free ones then we also have a range of box second and new affordable boxes available on our website. Click here to go to our shop
You can even have some fun with them afterwards like Joey…
2. Sell your unwanted items/downsize before you move
The more items that you’re moving the larger the truck you’ll need.
So if you have unwanted items lying around your house then why not sell them?
It makes no sense to move items you no longer need..and you can make some extra money through selling the items. A move is a great time to think about what you really want or need.
If you you don’t think it’s worth your time selling items, then charity shops are always wanting clothing and furniture… again the less you move, the less the overall cost.
3. Plan in advance – and look for off-peak / cheaper rates
If you plan in advance then you will likely have more options for moving dates and times especially. Many companies, just like Smart Express Limited, offer cheaper rates on the off peak days. For Smart Express, this means Monday through Wednesday.
Most house moves and retail furniture deliveries occur on Friday and over the weekend so rates reflect the higher demand. If you plan your move ahead of time, go for an off peak slot. This can also give the weekend prior to pre pack with those boxes you’ve found for free!
If you want to ensure one of these cheaper rates days for your move, then booking with us in advance will save you money! It will also mean that you will have a greater choice of times for your move.
And… throughout the entire month of July we’re offering 15% off our apartment and house moves Monday – Wednesday! CLICK HERE TO GET THE CODE
4. Hire professionals! … Of course that’s the team at Smart Express
Some of you may think that hiring a truck/van and persuading your friends to help you with your move could be the cheapest way to move house. However, this is not always the case
Professional movers will have your move done much quicker than your friends or family will. Our teams carry furniture most days of the week. They know their stuff!
With less likelihood of any damages or breakages you could actually be saving money in the long run. Oh yeah….consider the stress and hassle of watching your friends drop one of your most precious furniture items!
Alternatively you can just relax for the entire moving process right from the packing to the move and then the cleaning! – We can do all of this for you.
5. Be prepared
As well as planning in advance, you need to make sure that you are prepared on the big moving day too! Here’s a few more helpful tips:
- Make a list of your most fragile items or items that will need additional care while in transit. Have this list ready for your movers. Discuss with them before they start so they there are fully aware of the nature of these items
- If you are moving small items of high value (often referred as ‘valuables’) consider keeping these in your possession, particularly so if they are of high sentimental value. Things like jewellery, watches, small antiques etc are examples of ‘valuables’
- Timing is everything: Give yourself enough time to pack properly rather than leaving it to the last minute – this will help you be more organised and less stressed.
- Start early and pack up any items that you don’t use regularly
- If you need any paperwork (licenses, passports, insurance policies etc) during the move period then put them aside in a safe place for ease of access
This will ensure that when our movers arrive that you have everything packaged up, labelled and ready to be safely moved into the truck which will save a great deal of time.
Thanks for reading about how you can keep your costs down!
Oops! We could not locate your form.