Here are our moving house tips to help your moving house easy and the Smart Way, The Smart Express Way!
Use this Moving Checklist to help you stay on track.
Moving House Tips – 7 weeks before moving date
- Create a “moving house file” to keep track of cost estimates, receipts and other important moving information.
- Work out a budget for moving expenses and start collecting estimates – including a moving quote from Smart Express.
- Read up on moving tips and topics at our Moving Tips Blog section.
- Start researching your new town and community. The Internet is a great resource for finding online community guides and local information.
Moving House Tips – 6 weeks before moving date
- Draw out a floor plan of your new home. Work out how each room is to be used. Begin planning how to move all your furniture and belongings into your new home.
- Call your insurance agent to see what changes to expect in your policies for changing towns. Ask if moving is covered and arrange for insurance for your new home.
- Contact health clubs or other organizations you have joined. Ask how to transfer, sell, or end your membership.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses to notify of your move.
- Work your way through each room taking inventory and deciding what to donate or throw away. Start planning a garage sale or contact your local charities.
- Smart Express Moving and Delivery can help you move large items sold on Trademe or to deliver to a charity shop.
Moving House Tips – 5 weeks before moving date
- Begin collecting boxes and other packing supplies. You can order a wide selection of moving boxes from Smart Express to be delivered to your door.
- Begin packing items you don’t use often. Also start separating and disposing of the items you’ve designated for a garage sale or for Trademe, donation or the dump. If you donate, be sure to get a receipt for income tax purposes.
- Plan for short-term or long-term storage at destination if needed. Smart Express can help as we are partners with the well known storage facilities in Auckland.
Moving Tips – 4 weeks before moving date
- Book your moving date with Smart Express and let us know if you need a large van or truck. We can also provide two strong men to help you move.
- File a change of address with the Post Office. If you are unsure of your new address, ask the postal service to hold your mail at their office in your new town.
- Schedule disconnection of all utility services at your old home, and connection of them at your new one. Be sure to disconnect the day after you leave and connect the day
before you arrive. If you have “last month” deposits with services, such as the water or gas company, request your refund. Power, water, gas, Internet and Phone!
- Make travel arrangements for your pets. Don’t forget to include necessary medical and immunisation records.
- Advertise and host your garage sale.
Moving House Tips – 3 weeks before moving date
- Make sure all library books have been returned and all dry cleaning or items out for repair have been picked up. Also retrieve any items out on loan.
- Decide if you will keep your plants or give them away.
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives and poisons.
- If you are moving into or out of an apartment, arrange to use the elevator on your move day.
Moving House Tips – 2 weeks before moving date
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Plan meals for the last week of the move to help empty the refrigerator and avoid using appliances that will already be packed.
- Assemble a folder of important information about the house for the new owner of your home.
Moving House Tips – 1 weeks before moving date
- Confirm with Smart Express your moving in date and what size van or truck you require.
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number with a free Moving Notice.
- Finish packing and prepare an “essentials” box. Designate several moving boxes and items as “last load” items. Pack your suitcases and valuables separately.
- Drain all gas and oil from your mower and other motors. Gas grills, kerosene heaters, etc. need to be emptied as well.
- Drain water hoses and waterbed.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day. Prepare all appliances for loading.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications you will need for the next couple of weeks.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day.