Our Packing Guide is full of top tips to help take the stress out of packing. We have divided the guide up by room for easy reference.
Packing Tips Blog Post #1 – Kitchen
- If you keep your sharp knives in a knife-block, wrap them together for safety and protection. If they are not stored in a block it is best to wrap them separately rather than together.
- When wrapping pots and pans, utilise the space in the pan with other kitchen items and invert the lid, placing the handle down. Pots, pans, etc. can be stacked in a box with packing paper between them. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Wrap each glass separately in tissue paper or wrapping paper. Wrap the stems of glasses until they are the same width as the base and bulb. This makes an easier shape to wrap and adds strength to a fragile item. Pack upright and in strong boxes. Place fragile labels on the completed boxes immediately. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Pack plates vertically on their edge instead of stacking them on top of each other. They have a far greater weight bearing strength this way. Place saucers, plates and platters on edge – DO NOT STACK FLAT. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Individually wrap dishes. Stack them flat – as you would store them in your kitchen cabinets. Cups and dishes may be placed inside each other and wrapped three or four in a bundle. Put layers of bubble wrap between each dish. Fill the top dish with crumpled wrapping paper. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Put bottles of wine and spirits in wine boxes. A broken bottle can ruin many items.
- Pack small appliances in their original container. If this is not available, use a box padded with wrapping paper or your kitchen towels. Wrap the appliance in bubble wrap to ensure adequate cushioning. You can pack several small appliances to a box.
- Clean the oven thoroughly grease left on the exterior will catch dust and dirt, and unfortunately, leave spots on anything that it touches.
- Dry out refrigerators and freezers and dispose of all perishables. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Clean and dry washing machines and tumble dryers thoroughly. Disconnect and drain the hoses. Leave the door open for a few days prior to the move. If required, secure the tub following the manufacturer’s guidelines to prevent swaying.
- For all large appliances, remove loose fittings and accessories and pack separately. Handywrap, tape or wedge all movable parts and doors. Make sure the inside and outside of all appliances are clean. You can stuff the inside of some appliances, such as washing machines and dryers, with towels or linens. Wrap the appliance with furniture blankets and tie securely. Smart Express Furniture Movers, Delivery and Packing Company Auckland wide.
- Gas appliances must be disconnected by a qualified plumber. At the other end, you will again need a qualified plumber to check the gas supply and reconnect your appliances.
- Smart Express Moving Company service can order boxes, bubble wrap and packaging and we recommend our storage partners Kiwi Storage, National Mini, Panmure Self Storage and Storage King in Auckland.