Acceptance of items or goods for transportation.
Please read the following information carefully. This information is for residential, commercial and business customers. Where price estimates are provided based on information given by the customer, Smart Express reserves the right to alter prices as a result of inaccurate information. This includes the dimensions, weight, number of items or delivery access conditions. All the Smart Express customer service staff have been trained to request accurate information from the customer when quoting for any moving and delivery job. Additional charges may also be incurred for address redirection, additional labour required, storage, waiting time, services not requested and packing materials. Smart Express will ascertain if any personal items or commercial goods are not safe to transport or are insufficiently packaged that may cause potential damage to either the item being moved, other items, or the transport vehicle. We reserve the right to reject acceptance of any item/s or goods. All the Smart Express professional movers follow strict Health and Safety regulations to ensure no unnecessary risks are taken with transporting any items or goods.
Excluded items not permitted for transportation.
To protect the safety of your items and any potential risks, certain items are NOT accepted for transport by Smart Express.
1) no pets and live animals.
2) no flammable substances such as petrol/full LPG cylinders.
3) no dangerous or hazardous goods including paint and automotive batteries.
4) no engines or unpackaged car parts.
5) no perishable goods or frozen food items.
6) no valuables like currency, bullion, jewellery, passports, vouchers.
Please note, any items that cannot be safely lifted or carried by two people must be disclosed and inspected by Smart Express. The recommended weight limit is a maximum of 80 kilograms for two professional movers. Additional resources/men maybe required for heavier items which will be at an additional charge.
If you are in doubt and have any questions, please call us to discuss what alternative options are available before you book, we are happy to help and discuss the best solution.
Insurance options and The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017.
Insurance is not included for Household Goods and Personal Effects.
Please note our prices do not include insurance cover. Our transport delivery service is carried at the Owner’s (Customer’s) risk with no insurance. As defined by The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017.
“All goods are carried at the owner’s risk. This means that we (the carrier) will pay no compensation if the goods are lost or damaged, unless we (the carrier) intentionally loses or damages them.”
Smart Express strongly recommends to all customers to ensure there is adequate insurance cover in place for private and commercial items and goods.
While every care is taken when transporting private items and goods, accidents can and may happen. For this reason Smart Express advises customers to ensure that the best option is to contact your Home and Contents insurance provider. It is advised to ask for specific Transit Cover for the duration of the move. Most home and contents policies do not specifically cover goods in transit as part of a private move. Although transit insurance cover could be included if organised. Alternatively, we can arrange for NZI Transit Insurance on your behalf through our insurance broker.
If you don’t wish to take out your own insurance, you are acknowledging and accepting that you are using our services “At Owner’s risk” as defined by The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017.
Please contact us if you’d like more information on this.
Insurance options and Premium guidelines.
The information below relates to insurance that can be arranged on your behalf. While we can facilitate insurance through our broker, customers need to be aware that they are taking out insurance including completing a declaration of accuracy in requesting cover via NZI Insurance.
There are two options of cover;
1. Limited perils
2. Full cover
1. Limited perils
Cover under this option is restricted to accidental loss to insured property occurring during the transit as a direct result of the following only:
- fire, or
- flood, or
- accident to, or overturning of the conveying vehicle.
This option is most suited to those individuals who do not have any contents insurance. This cover is similar or the same as most policies from the major insurance providers.
2. Full Cover
Cover under this option extends to cover for accidental damage caused by our teams when moving items in and out of buildings. As with all insurance, there are conditions and excluded items. A customer can choose their level of excess although, if the items are not professionally packed, an additional excess of $250.00 will apply.
EXCLUDED ITEMS THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE
- Cash, notes, bonds, securities of any kind, documents, watches, jewellery and the like.
- Perishable or frozen food, livestock, motor vehicles, motor cycles, caravans, trailers, personal watercraft, boats, outboard motors, and
- any accessories or spare parts attaching to or forming part of any of these items.
- Any one article exceeding NZ$10,000 unless specified and noted on insurance policy.
- Antiques unless appropriately packaged for transport.
- Stamp, coin, medal and other collections or groups of items whose collective value is enhanced by being part of that group.
- Electrical appliances and electronics if they fail to operate at the new address.
- Cracked or damaged items, torn, scratched or dented items.
- Pot plants.
- Items packed by customers.
- Glass windows.
The prices below are a guideline only and do not form a quote. The prices assume that the insured has a clean, no claims history in relation to transit insurance. These prices are provided as a guideline only of the different levels of cover and associated indicative premiums for different levels of cover and excess.
Carrier’s Liability and insurance
Items carried by Smart Express are protected by Carriers Liability Insurance pursuant to the carriage of The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017. However, customers should be aware of the following;
- Household and Office moves are not covered and are provided at Owners Risk.
- Customers have the option to obtain Transit cover with their existing Insurance providers. Smart Express can also arrange Transit Insurance through our own insurers upon request.
- If damage or loss does occur, our insurer will manage claims accordingly. All claims will be forwarded onto our insurer broker, with applicable supporting documentation and application form.
- Any claim must strictly be lodged in writing within 24 hours of the occurrence of damage or loss. Claims submitted outside this time will not be accepted.
- There is no liability for damage if the goods have pre-existing damage, inherent damage/vice or where the damage has resulted from insufficient packaging
- There will be no liability for third party damage – ie; in the event of an accident where the other party is found at fault, the carrier will not be liable for goods damaged in transit. In this case the customer must claim directly off the insurance company of the other party.
- In accordance with The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017. your claim will only be processed once complete payment of the move as been received and acknowledged.
Other Liabilities & Limitations
a) Whilst our team of movers provide utmost care and attention to your house, office and property whilst carrying out your move, there remains a risk of marking/ scuffs to door frames, internal walls and stairwells especially when handling larger furniture and whiteware items. Whilst the risk is low, all work carried at either loading or unloading site will be carried out at “Owners Risk” as defined in the The Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017 refer to section 241.
b) Particularly note that damage caused by vehicles to lawns, driveways, footpaths, underground pipes, cables, sewerage and other underground installations is not covered.
Should our staff be instructed by the property occupier, move initiator, consignor, consignee or Shipper, or any person acting on their behalf to drive, park or manoeuvre vehicles in or near an area where such damage is likely to occur, compliance with such instructions will not in any way involve the Company or its Insurers in responsibility for any subsequent damage which may be sustained. Such responsibility will rest solely in the hands of the Owner, Consignor, Consignee, Shipper or initiator.
c) All work is carried out on a “best – effort” basis. Whilst we try our best to make it on time for every booking and delivery, we sometimes do inevitably incur delays outside our control. Smart Express is not liable for personal or business losses arising from such delays either directly or indirectly.
a) All residential and non-credit account moves are payment on completion of service unless pre-arranged with management. All vehicles carry a mobile EFTPOS machine for easy payment
b) All Credit Card payments (Visa and MasterCard) will be charged a 3% bank processing fee.